With expulsion rates three times higher in pre-K classrooms than in K–12 classrooms*, behavior is one of the biggest and most pressing challenges faced by early childhood educators and providers. Find research-based guidance and strategies in this book, an essential resource for professionals working with children from birth to age 5.
You'll start with a comprehensive, reader-friendly overview of early growth and learning across developmental domains, with special emphasis on the components of emotional development and the environmental factors that influence it. Then you'll learn the guiding principles for nurturing social emotional development, aligned with the positive behavioral interventions and supports (PBIS) framework and the Pyramid Model. Concrete examples of specific, research based strategies help you put the principles into action and improve child outcomes in both center- and home-based settings.
A keystone of professional preparation for both preservice and in-service early childhood providers, this book will show you how to work effectively with children, families, and colleagues to foster social emotional growth in the critical early years.
DISCOVER HOW TO:
- apply evidence-based universal prevention strategies to proactively support social-emotional growth
- collect data and use tailored secondary behavior strategies with children who have more intensive challenges
- collaborate with families and share concerns sensitively
- overcome roadblocks to PBIS through team communication and consistency
- encourage mindfulness in yourself and parental caregivers
- ensure that providers, caregivers, agencies, and other stakeholders work together and share accountability
- engage in ongoing reflection to improve your self-efficacy and confidence
PRACTICAL MATERIALS: Sample scenarios that show you how to apply strategies, suggestions for collaborating effectively with families, insights from parents and educators, reflection questions, supplemental exercises to reinforce what you have learned, and access to a sampling of useful web-based resources.
By Nicole M. Edwards, Ph.D. 2017. 224 pages. ISBN 978-1-68125-192-9. #BP216.